Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sonnenblumenbrot

Its my mom's birthday today and I baked her a Sunflower Seed Bread.

Baking Tunes: Pentagram, First Daze Here



Recipe:

Starter
-1 cup Luke Warm Water
-1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
-2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
-1/4 tsp. sugar

Combine ingredients in a bowl and form a wet dough. Cover bowl with damp cloth or cling wrap and let sit for 24 hours.

-3 cups Unbleached White Bread Flour
-1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
-2 tsp. Salt
-1/2 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds (plus extra to cover top of bread)

Combine starter with flour and form a rough dough. Let sit for 5 minutes then knead thoroughly and combine with sunflower seeds. Place in a dry bowl, cover and let rise till double in size. Turn out dough onto a floured baker's peel. Slightly moisten top of dough and cover with sunflower seeds and carefully cut slashes in dough.
Place in preheated 450-500 F oven for 20 minutes, then turn down to 400 F for another 15 minutes till hollow sounding when tapped.

Enjoy
-Mark

3 comments:

  1. Mark, I love you and I love your birthday bread,thank you! It is delicous and I have customers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat, sounds good. Do you ever add moisture to the oven during baking? I know some people open the oven and spray in some water part way though, and that professional ovens can inject steam at various points.

    Your loaves look really good, I've baked bread a few times, but they never came out looking all that great, and the texture was too dense. I suspect that your starter, and starting with a high oven and finishing it low makes a big difference. I may try again.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, I want this. I love sunflower seeds!!!

    ReplyDelete